Remains of 9/11 victim identified 16 years after terror attack

First new identification since March 2015 stimulated possible by more sensitive DNA technology that tests bone fragments

The remains of a human killed at the World Trade Center on 9/11 have been identified nearly 16 years after the terror attacks.

His name was withheld at his familys request, the New York City medical examiners office said.

The announcement marked the first new identification built since March 2015 in the painstaking, ongoing attempt. The office uses DNA testing and other means to match bone fragments to the 2,753 people killed by the hijackers who crashed aircrafts into the twin towers on 11 September, 2001.

Remains of 1,641 victims have been identified so far, leaving 40% of those who died unidentified.

New, more sensitive DNA technology was deployed earlier this year and helped attain the latest identification after earlier testing rendered no outcomes, the medical examiners office said on Monday.

As DNA testing advanced, so has the multimillion-dollar great efforts to connect more than 21,900 pieces of remains to individual victims. Few full bodies were recovered after the giant towers burned and collapsed, and the effects of heat, bacteria and chemicals such as jet fuel induced it all the more difficult to analyse the remains.

Over time, the medical examiners office came to use a process that involves pulverizing the fragments to extract DNA, then comparing it to the offices collect of genetic material from victims or their relatives. Most of the DNA profiles made belong to previously identified victims.

In some examples, scientists have gone back to the same bone fragment 10 or more periods, hoping new technology will provide answers.

The 9/11 aircraft assaults killed a total of nearly 3,000 people in New York, at the Pentagon and near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Make sure to visit: CapGeneration.com