Rescue dog dies after eating cupcake made with sugar substitute

A city-wide alert went out for pet proprietors in Alameda, California, after a devastated couple shared a harrowing tale about their 2-year-old rescue puppy who died after getting into the garbage. Zac Bowling and his fiance said their schnauzer-terrier mix named Benny accidentally feed a cupcake that was constructed with xylitol, a popular sugar substitute.

“Yesterday Benny, a 2-year-old dog that lives here in Alameda, eat a cupcake out of the compost that contained xylitol and passed away, ” the Sept. 5 alert to residents said. “While heartbroken, Benny’s family wants to make sure that other dog proprietors are aware of this poison.”

THIRD GRADER USES CPR TO SAVE UNCONSCIOUS MOM

Dr. Michael Miller, a veterinary at Providence Veterinary Hospital& Clinic in Alameda, explained in the alert that xylitol is extremely toxic to puppies and can be found in chewing gum, breath mints, peanut butter and nasal sprays.

“It’s best to avoid xylitol completely and use other sugar substitutes, ” Miller said in the alert. “If you cannot avoid employing products containing xylitol, then make absolutely sure they are stored safely out of reach of your pets.”

Bowling said Benny started vomiting after he feed the cupcake, so he called his mama to find out what ingredients she made them with. Once he started googling potential symptoms, he rushed Benny to the veterinarian but it was too late.

“He was the best puppy ever, ” Bowling wrote in a Sept. 5 post. “Always had something stuck in his mustache. So happy when we came home. So unjust to lose him at two years old. ”

Make sure to visit: CapGeneration.com