Couple charged in girl’s death denied access to living child

A suburban Dallas couple facing charges after the death of their adopted 3-year-old daughter may have no contact with their biological daughter, a judge ruled Tuesday.

State District Judge Cheryl Lee Shannon issued the ruling Tuesday after two days of witnes in the custody lawsuit involving Wesley and Sini Mathews of Richardson, Texas.

Wesley Mathews is charged with first-degree felony injury to a child in the death of Sherin Mathews, who was adopted from India. His wife is charged with child endangerment or abandonment pertaining to the death.

Investigators previously said Wesley Mathews had said Sherin succumbed after choking while he was forcing her to drink her milk.

On Tuesday, Richardson police Detective Jules Farmer testified that Wesley Mathews told officers that he was force-feeding Sherin, who was underweight, with milk from a bottle in the pre-dawn hours of Oct. 7 when she choked. Mathews said he held his daughter as she died, then placed her body in the back of his vehicle with a container of garbage, drove to a shopping center where he disposed of the garbage, then to a culvert where he conceals her body. Her body was find there two weeks later.

Farmer said Wesley Mathews had turned off a geo-locating set on his cellphone that morning. He said Mathews appeared shocked when asked about that, and he said he noticed a dark stain on the shorts Mathews was wearing.

Sini Mathews told police that she awoke about 5 a.m. Oct. 7 to find Sherin missing and Wesley sitting at the kitchen table with a strange look upon his face, Farmer said. When would like to know whether she knew if her husband had done something with their daughter, she said she was unsure, and she asked police if she would still be able to attend a newborn shower afterwards that day, Farmer said.

Stained clothes thought to be Sherin’s were found in the litter inside the couple’s home and are being tested, Farmer said.

Last week, a doctor with a clinic that treats at-risk children testified that Sherin had several bone fractures when she investigated her last March. Dr. Suzanne Dakil said she advised Child Protective Services.

Also Tuesday, CPS investigator Kelly Mitchell testified that Sini Mathews was “eerily calm” when her biological child was removed from her custody and proved no fury toward her husband when he returned from jail.

Wesley Mathews remains in the Dallas County jail with bond set at$ 1 million and faces up to life imprisonment if convicted of the first-degree misdemeanour. Sini Mathews remains in the Dallas County jail with bond set at $250,000 and faces up to two years in a state incarcerate if convicted of child abandonment or endangerment for leaving Sherin alone at home Oct. 6.

Results are still pending of Sherin’s autopsy.

Make sure to visit: