Woman nearly blinded by Christmas card glitter

Doctors in Swansea treating a woman with reddened eye and loss of vision spotted a lesion with a shiny surface on her cornea

A woman was virtually blinded by a Christmas card when a piece of glitter ran its style into her eyeball.

The 49 -year-old attended the ophthalmology department of Singleton hospital in Swansea complaining of a painful, reddened eye, loss of vision and swollen eyelid.

Doctors spotted a lesion on the patient’s cornea and initially suspected it to be caused by a herpes simplex infection, according to a case study published in the British Medical Journal( BMJ ). But when the lesion was examined under a powerful microscope, a shiny surface was spotted inside.

The patient recollected get glitter in her eye when it scratched off a Christmas card. The glitter had formed into a clump, causing a lesion that simulated the symptoms of a herpes infection, research reports said.

The report advised doctors to always ask about the cause of a possible trauma to the eye, even if the symptoms seemed to clearly indicate a common infection.

” The lesion may have been easily misdiagnosed as a herpetic simplex infection by non-specialists for which therapy would have been topical antiviral salve instead of removal and antibiotics ,” research reports said.

Make sure to visit: CapGeneration.com