As search and rescue crews continue to dig through the remnants of the mudslides that pummeled parts of Southern California, law enforcement created the death toll to 19 on Saturday.
Morgan Christine Corey, 25, is the latest victim detected among the debris, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said during a press conference. Morgan’s younger sister Sawyer was previously also found dead. The sheriff would like to request that the public “keep this devastated family in your thoughts and prayers” and said there would be a candle illumination vigil on Sunday “to remember and honor” the victims.
Brown also said a 62 -year-old man named Delbert Weltzin was procured alive by rescue teams; the number of missing people stands at five.
“While every hour it remains less likely that we will find anyone alive, there is always hope, ” the sheriff said.
The number of searchers and recovery workers in Montecito surged to more than 2,000 in the days after significant rainfall led to mudslides that ravaged an region previously scorched by the Thomas Fire, which officers said was fully contained on Friday. The flame is the state’s largest wildfire on record.
“We have to do whatever it takes, ” Capt. Tom Henzgen, leader of a squad from the Los Angeles Fire Department, told The Associated Press.
Before the next bout of rainfall reaches the area, crews were working throughout the day Saturday to clear rubble basins, with officials saying there was still a lot more work to be done. But Tom Fayram, the deputy director of the county’s inundation control district, told The AP that the crews were making great progress.
Crews in tanker trucks worked to remove the muddied water from the flooded sections of U.S. 101, a highway connecting Los Angeles to the Santa Barbara region.
The California Department of Transportation abandoned hopes of reopening the highway on Monday and said it was not known when the closure would be lifted.
In the disaster zone, searchers use chainsaws and rakes to remove logs and sift through the remnants of what was left of multimillion-dollar homes.
Much of the area remained under mandatory evacuation orders, with the sheriff saying the region was “not a safe or convenient place to be right now.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report .
Make sure to visit: CapGeneration.com