Body suspected to be from California cliff crash found

A body was recovered Saturday in the vicinity where an SUV plunged off a Northern California cliff last month, killing a family of eight in what authorities suspect may have been an intentional crash.

The Mendocino County Sheriff’s office said in a statement that a couple vacationing along the coast assured a possible body, which is now being pulled from the surf Saturday afternoon by a third bystander.

The body appears to be that of an African American female, but the age and identity could not immediately be determined, said Lt. Shannon Barney. An autopsy is planned Tuesday to determine a cause of death.

While authorities said they believe the body may be that of one of two missing girls from the crash, positive identification will most likely be done by DNA analysis, which could take weeks.

Sarah and Jennifer Hart and their six adopted children were believed to be in the family’s SUV when it plunged off a cliff last month. Five bodies were found March 26 near Mendocino, a few days after Washington state authorities began investigating the Harts for possible child neglect, but three of their children were not immediately recovered from the scene.

There were no signs of the other two children, authorities told Saturday.

Authorities have said that data from the vehicle’s software suggested the crash was deliberate. They said the SUV had stopped at a coastal road overlook before speeding straight off the cliff and plummeting 100 feet( 31 meters) into the rocky Pacific Ocean below.

Sarah Hart pleaded guilty in 2011 to a domestic assault charge in Minnesota over what she told was a spanking given to one of her children.

Bruce and Dana DeKalb, the family’s next-door neighbours in Woodland, Washington, called infant welfare officials last month because the couple’s 15 -year-old son, Devonte, had been coming to their home almost every day for a week, asking for food. They said the teen claimed his parents were “punishing them by withholding food.”

Devonte, a black son who is still missing, drew national attention after he was photographed in tears while hugging a white police officer during a 2014 protest.

The discovery of the body Saturday follows a two-day cyclone that swept through Northern California.

The sheriff’s office noted that it is not uncommon after a significant blizzard that items would surface or rinse onto the beach.

“The Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office is monitoring the ocean conditions to see when farther searches might be safely conducted, ” Barney told. “This evaluation includes the use of divers if conditions permit.”

Make sure to visit: CapGeneration.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s