Vape pen explosion kills Florida man

Autopsy detects Tallmadge DElia died from projectile wound to head, in first such example in U

A Florida man died when a vape pen exploded, sending fragments into his head and starting a fire that burned most of his body, an autopsy report has said.

The case is the first in the US where a vape pen has been held responsible. The report told Tallmadge D’Elia, 38, of St Petersburg, was killed on 5 May by a” bullet meander of the head” after the explosion sent two pieces of the vape pen into his cranium.

He also suffered burns on about 80% of his body. Firefighters discovered extensive fire damage in D’Elia’s bedroom, where his body was discovered, but minimal smoke, research reports said.

Such accidents are not unheard of: according to a US fire administration report, at least 195 electronic cigarettes explosion or caught flame from 2009 to 2016, causing 133 traumata, 38 of them severe.

The vape in the Florida case was manufactured by the Philippines-based Smok-E Mountain. A company representative told the Tampa Bay-based WFTS News that its devices did not explode. The representative told an atomizer- the proportion a person inserts into their mouth- or a battery was likely to blame.

The company said it had had problems with other firms cloning its batteries, which built its devices less safe.

The US Food and Drug Administration has said it is not clear what causes some vape pens to explosion, but it could arising as a result of battery-related issues.

Make sure to visit:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s